A few of the elements we capture that could possibly be useful in augmenting the Statcast feed to provide a more complete picture of the play from the human perspective:
- Glove Positioning: literally which way the glove was positioned on the play
- Fielded Straight Up or At
- Extended glove side
- Throw off balance (yes/no)
- Throw underhand (yes/no)
- Throw max effort (yes/no)
- Fielder dove (yes/no)
- Ball off wall (yes/no)
- BeatTheShift: for any ball in play with a shift on, we make a judgment call on whether the play would have had a different result had the defense been positioned normally. There are three simple categories: 1) Shift saved a hit 2) Shift caused a hit 3) Shift didn’t matter (result would have been the same).
- Catcher Block Probability (rating how difficult the ball in dirt was to block)
- 1B Scoop Probability (rating how difficult the ball in dirt was for 1B to pick)
- HR Rob (yes/no)
- Max Effort Throw (yes/no)
- Play Rating (all plays, including infield plays. This is done subjectively, but on a scale similar to BAM’s Hit Probability scale).